A home buyer has paid $4.04 million for Parkville’s historic post office and former postmaster’s residence.
The 1889 red brick facility at 69 Fitzgibbon Street, at the south west corner of Bayles Street, was snapped up as a renovation rescue.
Australia Post owner-occupied the property until 20 years ago – but has stayed on as a tenant.
The residential component of the property has also been rented out.
All up, the asset returns $72,000 in annual rent.
Woodards Glenn Bartlett sold the site, about three kilometres north of the Melbourne CBD.
Elsewhere in Parkville, the Baillieu/Napthine government banked $5.5 million in 2012 offloading the suburb’s former police station, built in 1878 at 155 Royal Parade in 2012.
Part of that 1803 sqm parcel has since made way for apartments.
In 2017 the subsequent Andrews government listed the Evo apartment complex for sale.
This near new structure, with 175 flats, was acquired as part of the East-West Link, an infrastructure initiative the ALP shelved at a taxpayer cost of more than $1 billion.