The Biagos family has listed South Melbourne’s former Cricket Club Hotel after 16 years.
On 290 square metres at 345 Clarendon Street, the five storey venue, known as the Coppersmith since a swank Hassel refurbishment eight years ago, is licensed for about 430 guests.
About 60 will fit into a historic ground floor dining space.
There are also 15 accommodation suites and a rooftop terrace with CBD and Albert Park Lake views.
The listing comes a year after the Celtic Club outlaid $5.3m for the triple storey Limerick Arms, across the road at 364-368 Clarendon St.
In late 2020, Kay & Burton director and property investor, Gerald Delany, snapped up the two level Emerald Hotel in the street, at #409-415.
On 667 sqm, he paid $6.015m (story continues below).
Freehold going concern on offer
Licensed in 1870, the Coppersmith was 45 years ago operated by late South Melbourne footballer Brian Roberts, when it was dubbed the Whales Hotel.
Con and George Biagos acquired the leasehold for $1.6m – from Perth, it was their first Melbourne acquisition, and Con later relocated to Victoria.
Following the freehold going concern sale, the publican will return to Western Australia.
CBRE’s Alex Brierley, Nathan Mufale, JJ Heng and Mathew George are the agents.
Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of this page.