It is the end of an era in Victorian farming circles with the Angliss family selling the historic Greystones after 90 years.
The 4033 hectare sheep and cattle station with a c1876 bluestone mansion at 565 Glenmore Road, Rowsley, is trading to China’s Guangxi Quitian Investment Co Ltd via an Australian subsidiary, Autumn Estates, for about $80 million – the guide when it was listed seven months ago.
Meat exporter, politician and philanthropist, Sir William Angliss, acquired it in 1934 – reconnecting two properties which were subdivided, again in the 1870s.
According to the Bacchus Marsh & District Historical Society, the property was developed in the Glenmore run, established by squatters Charles Griffith and James Moore in 1840.
Greystones was offered with cattle and sheep; it has produced superfine merino wool.
There is also machinery, hay, storage, stables and a brick manager’s residence.
An airstrip is onsite too (story continues below).
The heritage protected main dwelling (pictured, top) contains 15 bedrooms.
This component along with established gardens could be repurposed for hospitality.
Colliers represented the owner, Diana Gibson, the granddaughter of Sir William, who died in 1957, also the wife of late liberal MP, Adrian.
Autumn Estates becomes the third owner in 148 years.
Rowsley is about 50 kilometres west of Melbourne and 10km south of Bacchus Marsh.
Subscribe to our newsletter at the bottom of this page.