Standard Brickworks Site, Box Hill, to be Redeveloped

THE LONG-serving Box Hill home of Standard Brickworks will be redeveloped as a housing estate from next year.
 
The 7.2 hectare property at the end of Federation Street off Elgar Road, and near the Surrey Hills suburb border, will make way for townhouses, an education centre, and a place of worship, under plans by the sites owner Phileo Australia Limited.
 
The first stage of the development will occupy 1.2 hectares of the site, and include 71 double storey townhouses and eight triple storey townhouses.
 
Phileo director Alfred Sung told The Age he expects marketing, and construction of townhouses to start next year, with the rest of the project being developed over the next five years.
 
A planning permit to rezone the land from industrial to residential use, was approved by the Planning Minister in 2006. Approval for an education centre, and a place of worship, was granted by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in April 2007.
 
The site, which backs onto a park and is walking distance from the Centro Box Hill shopping centre, commenced operation as the Standard Brickworks quarry in about 1884, and ceased operation in 1998, the council said. The land was used as a landfill between 1990 and 1999.

Share or Recommend article

Marc Pallisco

A freelance property analyst and journalist, Marc is a co-founder of realestatesource.com.au.

Marc Pallisco

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!