TWO years after shutting its doors as a movie house, the historic Glenelg Cinema is set to be demolished and replaced as a small shopping complex.
The 1937 building at 119 Jetty Road (pictured, right) was the subject of an online petition by the Adelaide Chapter of the Art Deco and Modernism Society.
Small cinema crusaders, architecture groups and locals were hoping prominent developer owner Andrew Taplin could strike a deal with Wallis Cinemas for a joint venture, which would have seen the cinema renovated into a seven-screen complex. Its facade would have been retained.
Read More »