Modernist Lind House saved from demolition

One of Melbourne’s most revered Modernist movement homes has been saved from demolition after the developer who bought it last July sold it to an enthusiast on Sunday.

Lind House, also referred to as House at Caulfield, designed in 1956 and one of the earliest works by Russian-born architect Anatol Kagan (pictured, left), is exchanging hands for an undisclosed sum believed to be reflecting a modest short-term capital gain for the vendor who paid $2.105 million.

Described as a time capsule and classic, intact example of an Australian mid-century home, 450 Dandenong Road, Caulfield North, made headlines in July when it was revealed the then-owner wanted to replace the 843 square metre block with eight townhouses.

Without heritage controls, City of Eira Mayor Mary Delahunty, a state planning minister between 2002 and 2005, called on the current politician in that role, Richard Wynne, to temporary safeguard Lind House while council could conduct a “massive” heritage study expected to rescue it.

In August, Mr Wynne approved an interim protection lasting until July 31, 2018. Lind House was listed for sale weeks later via agency Rodney Morley. Agents Rochelle Butt and Rodney Morley closed an expressions of interest campaign four days ago.

Cr Delahunty said permanent protection will be sought for the double-storey part-brick home’s facade and butterfly roof. The council also intends to protect interior features including built-in timber bookshelves.

Mr Kagan’s career in architecture spanned seven decades until his death in 2009.

 

Marc Pallisco

A freelance property writer and experienced analyst, Marc is the co-founder of realestatesource.com.au

error: Content is protected !!